Re: An ugly job incident (long)

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident (long)
From: William Swallow <wswallow -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:08:19 -0400

Questions:

Do you think I was wrong to throw away notes and old edited
documents?
Have any of you had something similar happen, like being
accused of
stealing?
Do you think I have legal recourse if I don't receive my
severance?
Is this a clear case of defamation of character?

1) No, I don't think you were wrong in removing personal
items, though tossing old edited documents and/or other
company-related items may have been a mistake. Basically,
what you do on company time or for company business is
property of the company, regardless of the draft version or
the antiquity of the item. It's always best to let your
manager decide what to do with such items, even if they do
bear your personal imprints.

2) I am a firm practitioner of the CYA methodology, so no,
never been accused, never was a reason to be accused.

3) If you can prove that what you removed was 100%
personal, then you shouldn't have a problem. Else, really
depends on how bad they are out to get you and how slippery
their/your lawyers are.

4) No. I see it more as lack of insight at your company.
Obviously they associate age with senority. I thought that
practice died with the "in for life" corporate mentality of
yore. Who cares if the 40-something person is uncomfortable
working for a late-20's manager. I say you go with the best
professional solution, regardless of age, sex, race,
whatever. Ain't that what equal opportunity is all about in
the first place?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=