Summaries of questions, and a short rant

Subject: Summaries of questions, and a short rant
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:26:15 -0700

It would be terrific if the techwhirlers who got/will get replies to
their request for interview questions, both for interviewers and
interviewees, would compile them and post them to the list. I know I've
responded privately to both requests, but would benefit from having a
comprehensive list.

Personally, I plan to take the list to our local STC "Career Cafe" that
our professional development team has organized to coach prospective
tech writers looking for an entry point into this career. I don't want
to get onto a soap box here, so please don't clutter the list with
public replies, but I can't emphasize how important it is to let people
know about resources such as this list. Wearing my various hats and
doing countless information interviews and on-the-spot career
counselling sessions has given me a good perspective on the type of
information aspiring (and established) tech writers want:

(1) what tech writing really is and where they can find out more about
it

(2) an introduction to their professional community (I encourage people
to join the STC and to sign up for this list, at least for a month or
two, and get a sense of what issues come up and what tech writers are
like)

(3) help with their resumes and interview techniques

(4) mentoring and encouragement -- we can sometimes seem a tough bunch
to the less experienced and job-hunting among us

OK, going back to work ...

Rahel A. Bailie
Tel 604-293-0039 (5432) / Fax 604-293-0047

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=