Re: Frame to PDF=crap

Subject: Re: Frame to PDF=crap
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 00:23:09 +0200

Laura,

for THING ONE: there are two things to select for PostScript printing: the
PostScript printer driver, and the Printer Descritption. I assume that you
are actually using a PostScript printer driver. Then select the printer
description of a known _color_ printer, such as Color LaserWriter, This
should get your colors OK. Also check all the output parameters in Frame.
The fonts: one can be simplistic and say just one word: TrueType. Unless
you use the very newest PostScript printer driver, TrueType fonts are
embedded in a much less than optimum way. In the newer PostScript drivers
you can specify the "Type 42" format for TrueType fonts, which is kind of a
PostScript, which Distiller can process.

for THING TWO and THING THREE: Except for very simple text, PDFWriter is
rather useless. In particular, it is NOT a PostScript printer (driver).
Therefore, it will not render EPS files, but use their low resolution
preview instead.

So, as a conclusion, always keep in mind that Acrobat is a PostScript
workflow, and works best with PostScript fonts, EPS graphics, PostScript
printer drivers and appropriate printer descriptions.

It might be worthwile going through the Adobe Support database, and also
through the PDF mailing list archives as well as the Frame mailing list
archives.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>Is it just me?
>
>Here is what is happening to me. PLEASE help! I checked the Frame Web page
>and am currently involved with Tech Support on the issue, but if anyone out
>in TECHWR-L land knows a fix, please email me at laura -at- surety -dot- com -dot-
>
>Issues:
>- color TIFFs become black & white using the PS to Distiller option
>- bullets going away when embedding any fonts using PDFWriter driver option
>- graphics look fuzzy and unreadable in all versions, online and printed
>(forgot about this one!)
>
>THING ONE - When printing to PS then rendering to PDF using Distiller, my
>color TIFFs appear b&w in the PDF, and the fonts look bitmapped and broken
>up. The other colors in the document display as they were intended.
>Graphics are fuzzy and unreadable (online and printed), in addition to being
>in b&w.
>
>THING TWO - When printing from Frame to the PDF Writer driver (with no fonts
>embedded), the graphics were in color but were fuzzy and unreadable (online
>and printed). Fonts looked much crisper in this format, and all special
>characters displayed fine. Excellent, except for the fuzzy graphics and not
>having fonts embedded (which is a must, unfortunately).
>
>THING THREE - When printing from Frame to the PDF Writer driver (with fonts
>embedded), the special characters went away completely (bullets, checkmarks,
>etc). Yikes. Other fonts were crisp and very readable, but screenshots were
>still fuzzy and unreadable (online and printed). I could deal with this
>version for this awards submission if I could get the bullets to display.
>Aargh!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=