ADA guidelines for website design

Subject: ADA guidelines for website design
From: "Laura J. Lockhart" <LLOCKHART -at- ABIM -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:38:50 -0500

I just had a conversation with someone regarding ADA (American Disabilities Act) mandates for website design... a totally new concept for me. I've recently been assigned to a committee to help my company create an Intranet, and it never crossed my mind that the web pages should be coded to accomodate users with impaired vision or hearing. Though it's not a situation we need to cope with right now (i.e., we don't have any employees who rely on voice recognition software or the like), but since we're just getting started, we may as well do it right from the beginning. Aside from graphics labeling, what else should we be considering with our design? Our intention is to cut down on paper forms (timesheets, expense reports) by having them online, so it will be important that all employees, present and future, have full access to our intranet. If there's anyone out there with experience in the fine points of this matter, I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions and/or recommended references.

Thanks in advance!

Laura Lockhart
Copy Editor, American Board of Internal Medicine

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000