degrees

Subject: degrees
From: "Ann L. Lamon" <alamon -at- PSN -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:59:39 -0700

My own experience with a degree (BS, English/Tech Writing) is that it
has not been much use. Everyone wants it, but no one will take it. I had
excellent grades in all major classes and most non-majors as well. I had
to change majors 'due to circumstances beyond my control', though. I
changed from a pre-veterinary program, with all its attendant chemistry
and math classes, to the English/Technical writing program after four
years of school and a long break in between. I had thought this would
be damage control -- tech writing is 'technical' after all -- but was
wrong. I am self-published, as well as in scientific and professional
journals, but no one seems to care, even with the awards I won in
college for my writing. My experience is limited, but includes
publishing varied media. I graduated 1 1/2 years ago and am still
waiting to land my first job. 'Waiting' is perhaps not the most accurate
word, but you'll know what I meant. I don't fancy being a
over-qualified secretary the rest of my life. We moved to a larger and
more active city, hoping, looking, waiting. Any suggestions from the
list are, of course, welcome. Thanks for letting me put in my $0.02.
Ann Lamon
Phoenix, AZ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=