Re: Degrees

Subject: Re: Degrees
From: Laurel Gilbert <Laurel -at- NICHE-ASSOCIATES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:33:11 -0700

IMNSHO:

My degrees don't seem to *land* me jobs, but they do seem to affect my
pay substantially. My father sees the same thing; with advanced degrees
in math and physics, he's now working as a manager for a shipping
company and he finds promotions come faster and his pay is higher than
other people in his same "job description" without the degrees.

Now, you could make an observation that perhaps people who finish
graduate degrees in math and physics are just plain...um....quicker at
picking things up than the average shipping manager, and therefore his
promotions and pay scale has less to do with his education than his
intelligence. either way....

I've read the same thing in various surveys. Education and various
degrees may not help you land a specific job (entry level out of college
can be pretty discouraging, sometimes....), but they do, over time,
substantially help you make more, faster. And you "top out", generally,
at a higher cap than someone who didn't do advanced education.

As you were,

Laurel

Laurel Gilbert, Senior Writer/Editor
Niche Associates