Re: Startup Tips

Subject: Re: Startup Tips
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:28:25 -0800

I think it's a great idea, but only if you carry it a step beyond
Gatesville, i.e., don't ask, "Did you know you could...?" and let it go
at that. Nothing more maddening!!! Don't mention it unless you're
going to provide some kind of a hotspot to bring up the instructions or
a jump to that topic in Help.

BJ

Newton Jill wrote:

> Is there any evidence about the effectiveness of Startup Tips? By
> Startup Tips, I mean something like the brief tip that appears
> automatically whenever you start Microsoft Word.
>
> Intuitively, I feel that this is a useful feature because it's a way of
> introducing more effective ways of working to users who think that they
> already know how to use a product and who would not, therefore, consult
> the manual or online help again. I've certainly learned useful things
> from Startup Tips myself. However, I would like to have some evidence
> besides my own experience before putting any effort into developing some
> Startup Tips.
>
> Regards,
> Jill Newton
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==