FW: Mentioning Hard Copy Availability

Subject: FW: Mentioning Hard Copy Availability
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:51:42 -0800

> Colleen Adams writes: Bottom line: how much do you "advertise" that
> you have [hardcopy docs] available?

The way Wall Data handles this issue is to provide a coupon in the
shrink-wrapped box. The way it works is that the customer returns the
coupon to Customer Service or Support, at which time, the entire doc set
is printed and sent to the customer. On-demand printing reduces cost
and inventory. I don't know if we charge for additional copies (or if
we even allow it).

In the docs, I encourage use of the PDF online because of the tremendous
advantage of having a Search facility; there's just no replacement for
electronic searching. The software never forgets the location of that
item on database terminology comparisons (though it doesn't really
*remember* it either, I suppose).

The vast majority of customers are not familiar with the PDFs provided,
nor do they see the coupon in the box. From what I understand, queries
to Customer Service or Support are often resolved by simply informing
the customer of the presence of the files. In my experience, most
people prefer the control of printing what they want when they want it.

C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Opinions expressed are mine alone
Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=