Re: Keeping track of software changes

Subject: Re: Keeping track of software changes
From: Guru <guru -at- BOM5 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:58:55 +0530

Hello,

Mostly, we all have to peek in at the last minute and make sure that the
software and the documentation are in sync. Bakery Bribes, being friendly
with techies, also works!

Academically, however, most companies have CCO (Change Control Order) Form
or other such forms (Program Update Sheet), through which the Programming
Team is supposed to inform the Technical Writing Team about the changes made
to the software (including screens). This should help you keep track of the
changes. However, the programming whiz kids (all over the world it looks
like) do not have time for such mundane forms and niceties.

When I wanted to correct a typo on a screen for an IBM Project in Hong Kong
everyone guffawed: "Fill out the Form!" Form No: 1002 (if I remember
correctly). In other words, screen changes were recorded meticulously and
one thousand and one changes had been suggested to the program before me
(huge project, mind you).

Of course, today with Intranets, Internet and Networks -- all this should be
online. I get my program updates through email!

Of course, our programmers are using sophisticated systems to keep track of
changes to the software. But I am sure that is not what you wanted.

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)
Check out TWIN (TechWriters of India) at http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath
TWIN archives at http://www.egroups.com/list/tw-in
Your articles to the TWIN site are welcome.