Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...

Subject: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...
From: Dan Schmitz <djs -at- GENE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 19:16:40 -0800

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but please indulge me.

Why is it that, when attempting to restart the numbering in numbered lists,
Word97 also changes some of the formatting?

An example of what I'm talking about is when I have numbered lists that
appear in different parts of a page or document, usually separated by one
or more paragraphs of text. Word's default seems to be to auto-number each
list as a continuation of the previous list. When I then highlight the list
and tell Word to restart the numbering, I lose formatting attributes such
as indentation. When I manually move the list items back to the proper
indentation, Word changes the numbering back to continuous. We go back and
forth like this, until I give up and simply number items manually.

Also, if I attempt to save a numbered list as a style, Word defaults to
continuous numbering, and again, I lose my formatting if I attempt to
intervene.

Can anyone comment on Word's anti-social numbering behaviour and suggest
work-arounds? I am a Framemaker user, where numbering problems like this
are virtually non-existent, but unfortunately, I have to do a lot of my
documentation in Word so that others can make changes later.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Dan Schmitz
Technical Writer