Re: Creating PDF files from PageMaker

Subject: Re: Creating PDF files from PageMaker
From: "Eric L. Schurr" <schurr -at- WAM -dot- UMD -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:35:55 -0500

Nara:

PageMaker does do a terrible job of converting images for web documents. I
have three suggestions that will help you tremendously.

1. Don't use PageMaker to create web documents. Recreate the look you want
with a good visual editor, s/a MS FrontPage, Adobe PageMill, or
Macromedia's DreamWeaver.

2. For images, use Adobe Photoshop 5. Nothing beats it.

3. Buy "Photoshop for the Web," by O'Reilly Publishers. No other book I've
seen lays it out better on how to make crisp, small images for the web.

Hope this helps!

--Eric Schurr

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Nara Malone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The tech writers in my company have been asked to save our manuals (done
> > in PageMaker) as PDF files for the customer service department. We are
> > finding that some of the chapters convert while others do not,
> > especially those with large graphics. It seems to be a memory problem
> > but we are not sure how to work around it. Does anyone have experience
> > with this process? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
> > Pat Burrows
>
> I'm having a similar problem with converting pagemaker files to html.
> The graphics that were tiffs are converted to gif but are still much
> to big to be reasonable in an html document. To further complicate
> the situation they are ultrasound images for medical applications
> that absolutely rely on quality imaging and high resolution. Any
> advice or suggestions for resources would be welcome.
>
> Nara
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=