Re: Can strong process create writers?

Subject: Re: Can strong process create writers?
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:14:50 -0700

At 10:32 AM 11/10/98 -0600, Laurel Nelson wrote:
>Whether or not a strong documentation process can create a technical writer
>is secondary to this question: Who is going to train this potential writer?
>The topic of on-the-job tech writing training has been discussed at length
>on this list, and everytime it is, I think the same question: Who is going
>to train this person?

And that's a very good question. The points you made (that
I snipped) were all right on target.

In my experience, management must understand that a
senior-level writer can either effectively train a novice
writer, or do the regularly-scheduled job, but not do both
well (assuming a mere mortal with the normal number of hours
in a week).

Depending on the writer and the organization, a
lack of training can be a temporary inconvenience for
all concerned, or fatal for the project, the writer, or
even for the tech pubs group.

Eric

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=