Re: Can strong process create writers?

Subject: Re: Can strong process create writers?
From: Roger Morency <rogerm -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:36:18 -0500

We have had a very difficult time finding and recruiting Technical Writers
for our Muncie, Indiana office. Because of this, we have hired and trained
several writers with an either some background in software development and a
desire to write, or English majors with an aptitude and interest in software
development. None of these hires would have had a chance if we did not have
a decent process in place. This process includes well defined templates and
a style guide. Of course, these tools alone were not enough. For the process
to work, we had to provide constant feedback and training. We do this
through informal mentoring and team meetings.

I believe that a strong process can help create writers, but the writer
needs to have some basic skills and be provided with a great deal of
on-the-job training.

Roger Morency
rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com <mailto:Rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com>

Check out our PaperJam(tm) and TrafficJam(tm) at
http://www.iquest.net/~rmorency <http://www.iquest.net/~rmorency>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=