Re: Engineering approach to certification

Subject: Re: Engineering approach to certification
From: SCN User <alfa33 -at- SCN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 08:01:32 -0800

(small portion deleted)

>Engineers are hired with math or non-engineering degrees (or non-degreed).

(major portion deleted)

>Rene Gedaly rgedaly -at- msn -dot- com
>Gedaly Information Development

Oh, really!? Find me just one company today that does NOT require at
least a 4-year engineering degree for their advertised engineering positions.
If what you say is true, then I could have saved myself lots of $$$ and
spent 4 years surfing ( you know, the old way...with a board ) instead of
looking at boring math and engineering books. ;-|

Granted, there used to be some "old timers" who worked in the engineering
departments who did not have "formal" training in engineering. That was
waaayyy back when it was possible to do that. Most all of those people
are now retired.

Today, credentialism is everywhere. Just the other day, I saw an ad for
bank tellers in my part of the woods. Can you believe that part of the
requirement was a 4-year humanities degree?

OK, I'll quit now, lest I earn an off topic demerit from ListMeister Eric.

Bill

W.J. Worthington, III
Technical Writer, Contract
31 E Seahorse Circle