HLP Project

Subject: HLP Project
From: Lief Erickson <lerickso -at- MQSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:17:40 -0600

Hello Everyone!

I need to submit a proposal this Friday (just learned about it today) for
developing a documentation procedure at my young software company. I have
been on staff a couple of months getting up to speed with the products.
Now, I am in the process of converting the existing documentation from Word
7.0 to FrameMaker, but must also include developing context sensitive help.

I have little experience developing .hlp files, but know what is involved.
Ideally, the documentation would be single source (FrameMaker 5.5). We
going to use ForeHelp Premier 98 for our .hlp files. I am a lone writer.

I am looking you some of the more experienced writers on this list, or
anyone with an opinion, to provide some input to my proposal below.
Somewhere in the proposal .hlp file development must be included.

I am specifically looking for information regarding .hlp development: When
should it start? How should the process be managed? How should a lone
writer approach developing documentation and .hlp files?

Note: Feel free to ignore or comment on anything.

Feel free to reply off-line and I can summarize if people are interested.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge.

-Lief Erickson
MQSoftware, Inc.
lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com

--------Proposal Begins-----------------------

1) Developer and technical writer meet and develop a rough outline,
including the high level functionality.

Time Required: 1/2 hour to 8 hours

2) Writer develops a rough draft, but must have:
Access to developer(s) for questions and clarification through:
voice mail
email
meeting
etc.
Access to code and user interface

Time Required: Continual, roughly 2 hours per page

3) Developer(s) must inform Technical Writers of:
Pending and completed changes that impacts functionality, including:
screens/user interface
message/error boxes
code

Time Required: Continual

4) Writer completes rough draft and returns to developer(s) for review.

Time Required: Continual (One month before Release Date)

5) Developers review rough draft for accuracy, not style. Developers are
encouraged to make comments, suggestions; including, words, sentences,
phrases. These comments can be summarized in an email or on hard copy.
Either way, the comments will be filed by the writer for reference.

If comments are not returned to the writer within the allowed time frame,
the writer may assume that the document is correct as submitted.

Any style changes or recommendations will be at the sole discretion of the
writer.

Time Required: One week

6) Writer incorporates any updates, changes to technical information

Note: At this point the code is considered frozen. Any changes or updates
to the code, functionality, etc. will be included in the next release of
the documentation.

Time Required: Two days

7) Document is user tested by Testing Deparment. This is User Acceptance
Testing (UAT). UAT will include changes to process flow, process order,
technical (mis)information, and are encouraged to make comments,
suggestions, phrases, etc. for clarity. These comments can be summarized in
an email or on hard copy. Either way, the comments will be filed by the
writer for reference.

Any style changes or recommendations will be at the sole discretion of the
writer.

Time Required: One week

8) Writer incorporates any updates, changes to technical information.
Document is standardized.

Time Required: Three days

9) Document is reviewed for Standards by at least three (3) people. A
checklist will accompany the document and each person will have specific
things to review.

Time Required: Two days

10) Document is updated and finalized.

Time Required: One day

11) Document is presented to Management for final sign-off.

Time Require: One week?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=