Testing & Costs

Subject: Testing & Costs
From: Lief Erickson <lerickso -at- MQSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:10:19 -0600

I work for a young software company. I am the lone tech. writer. We are in the process of developing processes that would include more specific testing, but don't currently have the resources (staff and time - although we are growing) to development a wide open testing department.

The developers and I (amazingly enough we DO work together - they haven't been taught to ignore/avoid/loath tech. writers!) are developing a proposal for management regarding the need for more complete and mature testing. However, we don't have any numbers - the things that management wants.

I would like to hear from others who have developed a testing method.

What was the implementation process?
How many hours/months?
What specific cost savings were obtained, if any?
When were the savings realized?
How was the product improved?
Since we don't have the resources, if you could only implement part(s) of your process (the easiest to implement, yet produced a savings), what part(s) would it be?

I have read the archives about Usability and Testing, but haven't found this
information.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Lief Erickson
Technical Writer
MQSoftware, Inc.
9449 Science Center Drive, Suite 1400
New Hope, MN 55428
Voice: 612 536 3035
Fax: 612 971 0854
Email: lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com
http://www.mqsoftware.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=