Re: certification

Subject: Re: certification
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:08:47 -0800

Hi Nick,

Interesting twist, and assumptions, you've made here:

> > In California, you can have a Ph.D. in accounting, yet unless
> you have taken
> > and passed the CPA examination you cannot associate the words
> "accounting"
> > or "accountant" with your name. To do so is a violation of the
> law. Just a
> > bit extreme isn't it?
>
> Why is it extreme to protect consumers from those who do not
> posses the proper
> training/qualifications to mess with your money? Isn't one's money a bit
> extreme of a situation with which to be concerned?

". . . from those who DO NOT POSSES the proper training/qualifications . .
." (caps are my emphasis) I didn't state that the hypothetical individual
did not possess training and qualification. In fact, I said just the
opposite. There are a number of reasons for an individual not having a CPA
here (one is the limited number of "CPA candidate" positions available from
which to start the process). A certification process is designed to identify
an individual's set of skills, nothing more.

> > In the trades industry, there are apprenticeship programs with various
> > levels of expertise. Besides limiting the number of "masters"
> (or whatever
> > name they may use for senior levels), the program says little
> more than that
> > a person has been in the program for a certain amount of time and met
> > whatever requirements had been deemed appropriate by their union. It
> > certainly doesn't ensure that the person you hire will do an
> excellent job
> > on your project.
>
> The inherent risk that hired help may not perform is universal
> regardless of
> certification and does not negate the benefits to both employer
> and employee
> offered by certification.

Oh? If the certificate cannot ensure that the work will be of a specific
standard, then what does that certificate accomplish? Other than indicating
that the individual is "capable" of a certain level of work. Certification
needs to accomplish something more that limiting the employee pool from
which employers can select. In fact, I do not believe that any certification
program, for what ever profession, should limit the pool of available
employees.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=