The topic that won't die: Ventura conversion

Subject: The topic that won't die: Ventura conversion
From: Beth Kane <Beth -dot- Kane -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:47:41 -0700

Hi,
I know someone recently posted this again, but I checked with him and he
received no good answers. So I'm going to have to try again -- because I
just started at a co. where we need to bring docs from Ventura Publisher
4.1 and 7.0 into FrameMaker 5.5.

I searched the TECHWR-L archives for 1997-98, and found lots of messages
about this notorious problem. There were three solutions:
> Buy the conversion tool called MasterHelp.
> Convert Ventura files to ASCII then follow some steps.
> Write a Word macro to wipe out all the VP codes in the files.

Here are the problems with each of those solutions:
> Someone said MasterHelp does not convert VP very well.
> My coworker started trying the ASCII steps, but she couldn't find the
menu options the steps called for, within VP 4.1.
> I don't know anyone who knows how to write macros in Word, and there's
little time available to learn this.

Does anyone have any more clues, pleeeeeease? Anyone have any macros
that are ready to roll? Does anyone know where John Cornellier is (he
wrote about macros)?

Thanks a lot,
Beth Kane
Ventana Corp.