Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Rahel Anne Bailie <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:03:05 -0800

Geoff Lane wrote:

> Mark Baker wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>
> The glyph "#" can express several different symbols. It can be "number" as
> in "#12". In the absence of the normal glyph for pound it can be "pound"as
> in "#12 sterling". In the OmniMark language, like many other programming
> languages, "#" is used in a number of special ways and is called "hash".

The auto-attendant "Marsha" voice generally refers to # as a "pound key",
though surreptitious user tests reveal that non-technical types will refer to
it as the "number sign." I've never heard of # being called "hash" but am now
enlightened about why it would be called a pound key: it's the banking system
that uses that term.

Rahel Bailie
speaking only for myself

begin:vcard
n:Bailie;Rahel Anne
tel;fax:(604) 293-0047
tel;work:(604) 293-0039/5432
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.newbridge.com
org:Newbridge Networks Corporation;ATM Group
adr:;;;Burnaby;BC;V5C 6C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rbailie -at- newbridge -dot- com
title:Technical Writer
fn:Rahel Anne Bailie
end:vcard