Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction

Subject: Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:56:00 -0600

Anon:

If I judge by the tone of your message, I would agree with those closest to you.

The thing that strikes me most is the pattern: I left the first place primarily because it sucked; I left the second place primarily because it sucked; I left the third place. . . . If you were of a temperament capable of satisfaction, the message would read more like this: I left the first job primarily because I found something better; I left the second job primarily because I found something better; I left the third job. . . .

****************************

I've posted previously about job dissatisfaction in my current job and
previous jobs. I'm getting really frustrated with myself and with the work
world in general.

After graduating from college I had one job for 4 months and left due to
boredom. At that time I really didnt know what I wanted to do and just
took a job to pay the bills. I took a temp job until I could find my ideal
job.

Six weeks later I had what I thought was my ideal job. I had discovered
tech writing, entered a masters program and thought I had found a job that
would give me experience. I did almost no technical writing there and left
9 months later for what, again, I thought was my dream job.

At the next job I got some TW experience and a $5000 raise from my
previous job. I left that job after I'd had it for 8 months because they
gave me a promotion with lots more responsibility and no raise. Also
because I had no official job duites for 6 months and management wasnt all
that excited about putting any down on paper. I also left because a
fortune 500 company offered me a job and a $15000 raise.

Now I'm at the fortune 500 company and I hate my job. I'm doing lots of
Web work (which is partly what I want to do), but no technical writing.
Also the web work I am doing is not exactly the kind of web work I want to
be doing. Most of all I hate the organization around here. I never know
what I'm going to be doing when I get to work because they give me bits and
pieces of work on a daily basis and NEVER give me the big picture. Because
they don't give me the big picture I often end up redoing things...

I've only been here since August and think I should give this job and this
organization and myself more time before I call it quits, but I get more
and more frustrated every single day. When I first got here they werent
giving me any work at all and I complained to my manager and now I'm at
least getting work...

The people closest to me think I will never be happy or satisfied with any
job, but I dont think thats true.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000