Re: Combination user manual and training guide

Subject: Re: Combination user manual and training guide
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:49:32 -0600

<Combination user manual and training guide
<Author: Cristina Ward <ward -at- SERVICEWARE -dot- COM> at ipdlink
<Date: 12/2/98 3:07 PM
<
<
<I was wondering if anyone could point me to some books or websites about
<developing a combination user manual/training guide. Due to a resource
<shortage among the Training and Documentation groups, we are trying to come
<up with a way to pool the resources between these two teams. Does anyone
<have any experience with this?
<
<Thanks for your help,

* * * * * * * * * * * Replay Separator * * * * * * * * * * *

I started my professional career as a high school industrial arts/voc
ed teacher, became a technical trainer in industry, and then switched
to tech writing. Along the way, I've done a lot of curriculum
development. My advice is *not* to combine these two documents. They
have separate function and are used differently. If you have no way
of creating two separate manuals, go for the user manual and use it in
training. I've attended many technical training sessions where this
method was use. It's not the best way to train but my experience has
been that technical training has always been give a lower priority
than technical writing.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Argonne National Laboratory (near Chicago)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=