Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:49:18 -0600

>On-line documentation is a far superior format. No one can argue that
>full-colour graphics, audible instructions and animated screen-shots aren't
>superior to a black and white text.

I think the user has to determine which format is superior. No doubt
on-line docs may be far superior for some applications, but I can't
see a mechanic descending into a steam pit (where the temperature is
100 degrees F and the humidity is about 90 percent) carrying a laptop
(which the company will never buy him anyway) so he can validate the
position of 50 or so steam and condensate valves before he begins his
work. I forgot to tell you, the mechanic also has no place to lay his
laptop except on a hot steam or condensate line (200 to 300 degrees)
because the concrete floor is covered with water and there aren't any
desks in a steam pit. When he is done with his work, he climbs out of
the steam pit and the temperature is 15 degrees F (because it's winter
in Chicago) and all that humidity inside the laptop just condensed on
all the internal components.

I think the mechanic will prefer a one-page drawing to the on-line
doc.

Don Timmerman
Argonne National Laboratory (near Chicago)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=