Re: Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?

Subject: Re: Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:12:55 -0800

From: Maurice King <benadam -at- CYBERDUDE -dot- COM>

>I've heard all too many people say that there's a surplus of jobs and not
>enough people. Only one problem: I don't believe it, nor do I feel any sympathy
>for the companies who whine that they can't find good people. Chances are
>they're not finding good people because their employee recruiting tactics
>stink!

etc, etc.

This argument is fiction (for Silicon Valley) and promoted mostly
by the unions who are trying to organize technical people.
Most larger companies have hundreds of openings for engineers,
programmers, and writers. They are paying big bucks for ads in
newspapers and other media. Large job fairs are scheduled every
few months. The San Jose Mercury Sunday help-wanted section is as big
as some newspapers. Sun just raised their referral fee for employees
from $1,000 to $1,500. Drive around and you will see new buildings
going up all over the area. Companies like Cisco Systems have limited
growth because of the personnel shortage. Their buildings are going
up at a rapid rate. Sun just broke ground for a new campus in
Santa Clara which will require a few thousand new people and a new
factory in Newark is being populated now.

Jobs exist for qualified people.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- Eng -dot- Sun -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=