Re: Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?

Subject: Re: Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:16:45 -0800

At 03:48 PM 12/3/98 -0500, Roger Morency wrote:
>I keep wondering why companies continue to try to grow in highly competitive
>recruiting markets ...(they) should probably
>consider opening their new offices in the Midwest. Odds are they find a more
>loyal base of employees that are just as skilled...

Well, maybe... And then again, maybe not. As pubs manager for a company
that makes programming language add-ins and compilers in San Diego, I've
often lamented the lack of qualified candidates. Oh, sure, there are
plenty of great tech writers in San Diego, but few of them want to handle
C++ code when the siren-song of a GUI grabs their attention. If we were
in the bay area or further north, I'd have a lot more qualified candidates
to choose from. How many tech writers in Muncie have experience creating
API docs, do you s'pose??? ;-)

With so
>many new and efficient ways to communicate, physical location in a
>technology hotbed is not as critical as it used to be.

But it still makes a difference. Telecommuting is great, don't get me
wrong. I've done it myself when there's a need. But working in remote
offices and juggling time zones is a chore. If you can avoid it, you
(the corporation) are much better off. (And some companies still want
that prestige address on their letterhead, believe it or not.)

What do the rest of
>you think? Since most of you probably already live on one of the coasts,
>would you even consider moving to a city in the Midwest?

Nope. Not me. No way, no how. I get claustophobic whenever I move more
than 10 miles inland! ;-) I can't even convince myself to move up
north 'cause I'd have to put the top up on the Mustang *way* too often!
;-) Annual rainfall of ~6 inches a year has its advantages, y'know!

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=