Re: mouse recomendation: How about a trackball?

Subject: Re: mouse recomendation: How about a trackball?
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:21:52 -0500

Greetings!

> I had a compaq mouse for about 2 years and it finally died. I bought
> another one, thinking they were all pretty much the same, and
> I've only had it a month and it's acting up. Any suggestions on a good
> name brand for a mouse?

Logitech seems to spawn good mice. The unfortunate thing about mice is that,
because they roll around on a surface, they tend to pick up all sorts of
dust, crumbs, and lint. This crap works it's way into the inner guts of the
mouse and it starts misbehaving. Even if you perform surgery on the mouse
and clean it's ball and rollers, it's never quite the same.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can sometimes improve performance on
a mouse if you switch it's ball with another mouse. A little skullduggery is
required here, with you sneaking around to your co-worker's desk and
serendipitously switching the mouse ball. I theorized that the mouse ball is
actually smaller now after prolonged use (mouse errosion). It doesn't reach
the rollers as well as it did in its younger days (now THERE'S a universal
statement).

So my solution was, instead of getting a traditional mouse, I got a
trackball from Logitech. It takes some getting used to 'cause you're using
your thumb to move the cursor. There are several advantages:

* As long as your hands are clean, your ball won't pick up as much crap
* You don't have to keep lifting the mouse when you run out of mouse pad
* With some practice, I find it's more accurate
* It has a longer life
* It looks neato
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=