Re: degree

Subject: Re: degree
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:04:31 -0500

Corrine Kantor wrote:

> I have a Bachelors degree in Journalism. <snip> To me, college
> isn't just what you learn in the classroom. You learn responsibility,
> organization skills, time management, leadership, etc.

Right on! Looking back on all those nasty math courses I took,
I'm firmly convinced that they were really about learning to think in an
organized manner, rather than how to solve esoteric problems that seldom
arise in real life. And maybe all those impossible assignments and
research papers were given to teach me (1) how much I can really get
done if I HAVE to, and (2) how to manage my resources so everything gets
finished on time.

BTW, my "pedigree" includes a BS in Communication and Technical
Writing and an MS in Technical Writing. I switched majors after two
years in a fairly intense pre-engineering program. (I decided I really
didn't want to do all the number crunching required by the Engineering
School!) At the time, I thought I'd wasted the first half of my college
education, but it turned out that I couldn't have picked a better
foundation if I'd tried.

Scott R. Havens, Sr. Tech. Writer
Elcotel, Inc.
Sarasota, FL
22 years as a technical communicator... and counting!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=