Re: MS loses market share to publishers - why?

Subject: Re: MS loses market share to publishers - why?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:03:56 -0800

...because technical documentation is a relatively small market. This
is why Adobe has been suffering for years and had to break out into
web site design tools. It is also why other companies that specialize
in such tools BlueSky and Quark are small, struggling companies and
have been for years. It is also why MS does not buy any of these
companies.

This is also why Word and other MS tools are very generic. They must
appeal to a wider market than just tech writers.

Quite simply, there is no money in technical documentation compared to
software development tools and other tools.

I do not see this changing much in the next few years.

As for Gates and Disney, that hardly seems like a tech comm issue.

---John Cornellier <cornelli -at- CLAMART -dot- SRPC -dot- SLB -dot- COM> wrote:

> Further to my previous message (PDF vs paper), why does Microsoft
not try to
> take a bigger share of the tech doc market?
>
> When Walt Disney built Disney Land in with no accommodation, he made
the
> Annaheim motel-owners rich. In Florida, Mr. Disney made sure to keep
the
> spin-off money for himself.
>
> Why doesn't Bill Gates do the same and, more importantly, what other
> parallels can we draw between Messrs. Gates & Disney?
>

> John, again.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Check out topic summaries at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/topics.htm