Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:36:22 -0600

> On-line documentation is a far superior format. No one can argue that
> full-colour graphics, audible instructions and animated screen-shots aren't
> superior to a black and white text.

Er... I *can* argue that reading online gives me a headache if I don't
wear my glasses, but reading print does not. I can argue that I can look
at a book without losing part of my application's window. I can argue
that if the procedure I need takes more than 3 or 4 sentences to
explain, I can see it on one page of a book without clicking through
several help screens. Online documentation is a wonderful thing, and it
does many things better than printed docs (and I prefer a combination of
the two), but to claim it is a "far superior format" in every case is to
ignore factors that may matter very much to your audience... you know,
those people you're writing for.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=