Re: Inaccurate SMEs and Respect

Subject: Re: Inaccurate SMEs and Respect
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:52:46 -0600

> Why does it seem that, every time that someone posts a "people problem" to
> the list, there are a flood of replies about going to their managers
> immediately? Aren't conflict resolution and people skills part of our
> professional toolkit? Can't this person work it out (or duke it out) with
> the SME?

Going to the manager doesn't necessarily mean saying "I have a problem,
will you fix it for me?" Several replies said you should let your
manager know there is a problem *and* let your manager know what *you*
plan to do to fix it.

> We have a chronic problem SME here, and I frequently have to work with him.
> Yes, I told my manager that he was difficult (well, she already knew), but
> that I could work it out.

See? Just like that. And you even got credit for solving it, which
wouldn't have happened if your manager hadn't known there was a problem.
:-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=