Re: Temporary Work at MicroSoft

Subject: Re: Temporary Work at MicroSoft
From: "Robyn M. Nace" <robyn -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:10:49 -0500

I worked at Microsoft as an intern, a contractor, and a full timer. Full
timers seem to think that contractors have it made, since they get paid
more. However, contractors tend to be upset because they are left out of
everything, including ship parties, and are not allowed the smallest of
"benefits" such as free group t-shirts. I've heard a lot of horror
stories from contractors and managers about "permatemping." One manager
had to lay off her entire group of contractors who'd been there for
almost a year. She wasn't even allowed to tell them - they found out
when the agency asked them not to come in on Monday. Another manager
complains that the contractors aren't allowed to list their MS managers
on resumes. As a result, some people who aren't qualified end up working
for MS again, and since contracts are for 3-6 months, that's a problem.

Of course, some contractors are quite happy with being MS permatemps.

I hope this isn't too off topic. I believe the original post was a
request for opinions.

--
-Robyn
"Don't take it personally if you feel left out of the loop.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=