Re: Numbers

Subject: Re: Numbers
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:04:40 -0600

Leona,
To answer your question, if the page number is a numeral, use 'page 2'.
To appease the A-R types who just cough hairballs about 'display' with
no object, you could phrase the last part as: page 2 is displayed. Of
course, then you have the passive voice guys all over your case. Can't
win.

I personally would rather say that a page or a screen displays than add
ten or fifteen superfluous words to a sentence any reader already
understands. Also, as a personal thing, I avoid saying screens, etc.
'appear'. Computers are magic to most users and words like 'appear' just
compound the problem.

>Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:03:44 -0500
> >From: "Leona L. Magee-Dupree" <leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM>
> >Subject: Numbers
>
> >Which setence is correct?
> >After you press the "Ok" button, page 2 displays.
> >or
> >After you press the "Ok" button, page two displays.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=