Re: Numbers

Subject: Re: Numbers
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:20:55 -0700

<snip from Jonathan B. Horen>

>When you press the OK button, page 2 will be displayed, as shown in Figure
>23-45 on page 23-400.

Use ACTIVE voice, John. "...button, page 2 appears..."

</end snip>

Jonathan,

Just curious, why is the passive voice evil in this circumstance? I would
agree with you if (the other) John had originally said, "The OK button
should be pressed to display...."

But, "Press OK. Page 2 is displayed in the Fribbitz window" or just "is
displayed" does not seem (to me, anyway) to add to the reader's cognitive
load. In fact, it actually emphasizes what the user will see (page 2) when
they press the button, and de-emphasizes whether it appears or is displayed.

Jason

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=