Re: RoboHELP 7

Subject: Re: RoboHELP 7
From: Michael Bryans <michaelb -at- HCL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:28:01 -0600

I agree, in part, with David Knopf's view of RoboHELP 7. To produce most
compiled Help, the product is good but for generating plain (Website) HTML,
RoboHELP is a disappointment. I have noticed that twin RoboHELP menus appear
in Word and when reopening projects, hidden text (dotted underline) suddenly
vanishes, thereby dropping the hyperlink. I don't know if this is a RoboBUG
or a local system quirk. Nonetheless, the upgrade is still worthwhile. Many
version 6 deficiencies are resolved and new features added.

Re: Christina Nevin's posting, my team's difficulties have more to do with
MS Word bugs/quirks than with RoboHELP. Word has elicited occasional cussing
and grinding of teeth amongst techwriters here.

I am investigating converting our Word based documents to FrameMaker and
generating various compiled Help via Quadralay WebWorks Publisher (see
http://www.quadralay.com). This product gives you full control over
cascading style sheets and produces excellent Help projects. Quadralay
claims their next release will convert RTF source documents, saving the
tedious, intermediate porting from Word to FrameMaker.

Michael Bryans
R&D Technical Writing
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=