Re: Value of technical writers

Subject: Re: Value of technical writers
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:06:47 -0800

Janet Valade wrote:

> >In my (rather
> considerable)
> >experience, people go into technical writing because they find they
> can do
> >something that pays well with a fundamental ability to write.
>
> It sounds like you are saying that technical writers are wannabee
> novellists and poets who can't make a living writing novels and poems. I
> hope this is not true. This is not much different than saying that technical
> writers are wannabee engineers.

Not at all, although a case could be made that a significant minority of
technical writers have a partly-written novel stashed away somewhere. I suspect
that a lot of technical writers chose this business because writing came easily
to them, or because they simply like communicating with the world through words,
rather than pictures. A case could also be made - and this is a hypothesis I've
been working on for some time now [tongue firmly planted in cheek] - that many
people choose engineering SO THAT they will never have to write another word the
rest of their lives.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=