Re: Value of tech writers

Subject: Re: Value of tech writers
From: "Seigh, Rene' (Lydia R)" <lrseigh -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:52:30 -0600

<snip>
> > Several people mentioned
> > communication
>
> DING DING DING! This IS the key.
>
> > Once again we've demonstrated that tech
> > writing is a pretty nebulous label,
> > and even more than that, it is what
> > each of us makes it.
>
> IMHO, it's neither nebulous nor "what each of us
> makes of it." Technical Writers are not Technical
> Editors, although that duty may be added to our
> jobs. Technical Communicators aren't necessarily
> (only) writers or editors or graphic artists,
> although they may (endeavour to) be all three.
>
> That's why I like the term Technical Communicator
> for those of us who do more than just write
> (although I consider the 'writing part' the most
> demanding part).
</snip>
[Seigh, Rene' (Lydia R)]
I, too, like the term Technical Communicator because one of the
main functions I find myself performing is that of "information manager."
Earlier threads pointed out that sometimes we have 10 or more
developers/engineers and one tech writer per project. I often serve as a
mediator among developers when I find inconsistencies between software
modules.

Writing the user documentation for a product brings to light issues
that need discussing among developers. I am usually the first person to use
a software package and I find things that just don't make sense from a
user's perspective. Asking the right questions and (tactfully) pointing out
problems helps ensure product quality.

Developers get too close to products after working on them for
awhile. Even on projects that have only one developer/engineer, a tech
writer brings fresh eyes to a project. To me, that is a major area where I
add value.

Though the examples I gave are software industry-oriented, I have
worked in a production environment and a hardware design group. I find the
same thing applies in those areas as well. Sometimes the simple act of
explaining something to me causes a lightbulb to go on for an engineer.
They realize that something just isn't quite right with a product, or how
they can make the product better.

To me, the emphasis isn't on writing, but on the communication among
developers/engineers and between developers and users. I realize that this
assumes a tech writer has the opportunity to give feedback on products, and
that isn't always the case. I guess I have been lucky on my projects
because I have almost always found engineers/developers open and happy to
have my feedback.

Whew, I hope I used 'among' and 'between' correctly!

My .02,
Rene' Seigh
Freezing in Dixie
lrseigh -at- ingr -dot- com

My opinions are mine and not connected in any way to my employer.

"Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that
stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that
drapes your purest thoughts, for...if you remain true to them, your world
will at last be built." --James Allen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=