Re: ANON: Re: Plagiarism

Subject: Re: ANON: Re: Plagiarism
From: "John R. Sullivan" <John_Sullivan -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:35:23 -0500

Just a quick followup to Tracy's comment:

How could you copyright sports scores? You'd have to sue every
newspaper
with a sports section, not to mention CNN and ESPN. Unless my
copyright
knowledge is outdated, this company was pretty deluded.

My recollection is that the company maintained a variety of statistics (not
just scores), and their intention was to charge others for using that
information.

I also recall (dimly, as with most of my recollections) that there have been
attempts in the past to copyright the list of "metatags" for a web site. The
argument was that metatag lists are a type of index (which is not a simple
list of facts, but a unique representation of those facts?).

I guess some people will do just about anything to make a buck.

John Sullivan
Stratus Computer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=