Re[2]: ANON: Re: Plagiarism

Subject: Re[2]: ANON: Re: Plagiarism
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:28:50 -0600

I seem to recall reading some time ago that a company that compiled
sports statistics was arguing that their list of game scores etc. was
copyrighted. Isn't that just a list of facts? Does anyone recall any
details about this case? I'm curious as to how much luck they had
enforcing their copyright.

Their claim is getting stronger. The WIPO treaty in general, and the US
Congress even more so, are trying to extend copyright prection to
incredible lengths. A recent measure in Congress would render facts
copyrightable by the simple expedient of moving them into an electronic
database, even if they were clearly in the public domain when collected.
The provisions of the Electronic Database Protection Act would have made it
an infringement to simply quote public domain works from an electonic db.

Companies have discovered they can make money selling us information we
already own, and when there's money to be made, the politicians will join
together to screw us all.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224