Figures - Captions and References?

Subject: Figures - Captions and References?
From: Kevin Feeman <Kevin_Feeman -at- HILL-ROM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:23:16 -0500

All:
I trouble with the archives, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed
to death. Flame me off list if necessary. Anyway, my question: Should all
figures in a document have captions and if they do, should all figures in
that document have references? I was taught, and through experience, that
figures should have captions and references. I am writing a user's guide
and am beginning to question that philosophy. Is there a set rule or is it
different for every company? You can reply to me off list and I will post a
summary if interest requires that I do so. I was just wondering what others
do or don't do regarding figure captions and references.

Regards,
Kevin Feeman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=