Re: Protocol recommendation for e-mail

Subject: Re: Protocol recommendation for e-mail
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:56:48 -0800

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:48:14 -0700, David Hailey wrote:

>Because I subscribe to this and a couple of other groups I receive more than
>200 messages per day. Most of you do not receive that much mail yet, but
>chances are, in a few years you will. I will occasionally receive irate
>e-mail from people who are upset that I have not answered a query addressed
>specifically to me. Because I receive so much mail, I too often miss
>important messages addressed to me but with non-descript subject lines.

Might I suggest a mailer with filtering capabilities?

I use PMMail, which allows me to create multiple folder trees for an
account, and filtering that will automatically move incoming mail to
various folders depending on assorted content criteria (for example,
messages with "techwr-l@" in the To: field get moved to Inbox -> Mailing
Lists -> TechWR-L). PMMail can also play a sound and/or pop up a dialog to
notify you of activation of a filter (ie. "The filter TechWR-L has found a
message!"). Folder tree icons are color-coded to display folders with new
messages, as well.

Most advanced mailers support these functions -- Netscape Communicator,
Eudora Pro, Pegasus, etc. Or check out http://www.southsoft.com for
PMMail info.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

The enemy is defeated not when he cannot fight,
but when his will to fight has been broken.
- Sun Tzu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=