Re: web file naming conventions

Subject: Re: web file naming conventions
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:00:59 -0800

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:10:34 +0100, John Cornellier wrote:

>Are there other filenames that a browser will open if you
>point it to a dir? I just tested it and index.html, index.htm,
>and home.html can all be default files, with precedence in the
>order I gave, where they are all in the same dir.

It depends on what the server is set up to recognize as "default" names.
Most support index.htm(l), home.htm(l), and welcome.htm(l), usually in
that order. Keep in mind that *nix-based servers are also case-sensitive,
so indeX.htMl may not work (I try to just keep everything lowercase unless
there's a particular need to do otherwise).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=