Re: Re[2]: web file naming conventions... Unconventional

Subject: Re: Re[2]: web file naming conventions... Unconventional
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:58:21 -0800

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:52:17 -0800, Barry Kieffer wrote:

>> For files, I always stick to the old 8.3 DOS format. There are still
>> people using DOS browsers and you can cause them problems if you have
>> "blahblah1.htm" and "blahblah2.htm" in the same directory.
>>
>Hold on there!
>
>blahblah1.htm and blahblah2.htm both violate the 8.3 DOS format.
>
>"blahblah1" and "blahblah2" are nine characters long.
>
>8.3 DOS format only allow for eight characters.
>
>Bad example...

I think that was exactly the point -- a DOS system might no know the
difference between those two names, especially if they both got truncated
to 8.3!

Seems to me though, since this thing all started on Unix systems and used
non-8.3 names (*.html, for example) from Day 1, since long before any DOS
browsers, that this should not be an issue. Most browsers I've used
rename network files locally to 8.3 names anyway (look in your
\netscape\cache directory).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

It is impossible to rightly govern the world
without God and the Bible.
- George Washington

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=