Re: UIE site (was FAQ Intranet site tips on visuals)

Subject: Re: UIE site (was FAQ Intranet site tips on visuals)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:31:46 -0600

Bill Burns wrote:

> The only thing I see on the site about
> scrolling (though I haven't delved too deeply) is that one company's tactic
> of minimizing scrolling neither helped nor hurt, but that doesn't support
> the idea that people don't mind scrolling--only that it didn't affect this
> particular site.

You're right; that particular study isn't discussed on their website. I
read about it in their newsletter -- sorry!

> As far as clicking through layers, I hate going from a menu to multiple
> submenus, but I prefer expanding-collapsing TOCs because they give my a
> hierarchical perspective of the site (when they're well done).

I think their research also showed that people don't always understand
this kind of TOC. Again, this might be something that I read in their
newsletter, not on their website; I'm not sure.

> I have to wonder, though, about this research (and I intend to follow up on
> it). Some of the sites they claim are highly usable have poor track records
> overall (and are even featured in Web Pages That Suck on occasion).

I'd like to see more research in this area too. But the Web Pages That
Suck... isn't that just personal preference? I generally agree with it,
but still, it's just opinion without research, isn't it? I mean, I hate
frames, but if someone did a usability study showing that users found
framed sites to be easier to navigate, it wouldn't matter what I said on
my "FrAmez SuCK" page, would it? :-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=