Figures - Captions and References?

Subject: Figures - Captions and References?
From: Beth Kane <Beth -dot- Kane -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:37:58 -0700

I don't use figure numbers, because the graphics are referred to in adjacent
text. And I agree with the "throwback" statement below.

However, I was recently panned by one STC contest judge for not using them.
I'd be interested in hearing from more STC judges about this. Why should we
use them?

I chuckle at the formality of figure numbers when I see them in books. Now
that we have dynamically updated cross-references in tech docs, we can tell
people what page the graphic appears on if we refer to one that's not
adjacent to the current text.

I can see the logic in using captions, perhaps, but not numbers.

Beth Kane in Tucson
kane -at- ventana -dot- com