Re: Simplified English and Plain Language

Subject: Re: Simplified English and Plain Language
From: Gerry Bourguignon <GBourgui -at- LAVASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:05:05 -0500

>Is there a difference between Simplified English and Plain Language? I
>know that SE is engineering specific, and takes a long time to master.
>Seems that PL has the same objective as SE, but is not as stringent in
>its rules.
>
>Thoughts? Experiences?

The Association Europeene des Constructeurs de Materiel Aerospatial (AECMA)
publishes a Simplified English guide for use within the aerospace industry.
From the description on the Air Transport Association (ATA) web site: "this
document originated from the growing need for clear communication of complex
maintenance data. The standard vocabulary it contains is designed to help
technical writers and editors with complex technical terms from diverse
aerospace industry sources by designating one word for a particular idea or
action, defining its meaning and giving a set of rules to simplify writing
style."
So, you're right when you say that SE is engineering specific.

I know from my brief experience in aerospace tech pubs that there is
software available for SE checking. I'm not sure if the same holds true for
Plain Language.

Regards,
Gerry
--