Re: Writing for the touchy American?

Subject: Re: Writing for the touchy American?
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:58:16 -0500

Steve,

Writing for Americans is a simple matter, provided that you adequately but
blandly address the subject; and provided you refrain from interjecting humor;
and provided you drop all references to politics, sex, race, gender, religion,
education, national origin, physical attributes or infirmities, abortion, gun
control, hunting, abortion, cannibalism, and hygiene; and provided you refrain
from discussing tastes in food, fashion, music, housing, transportation, and
and entertainment.

When engaged in technical writing, it's best to suppress thoughts you might
want to share about Twinkies, fluid retention, your unhappy childhood, and
fantasies about romantically "flying" on the bow of the Titanic with Barney
the Dinosaur or Martha Stewart.

Rather than to risk offending the sensibilities of others, avoid instructing
them to do anything. This approach, however, makes writing manuals a hassle:
"To start your car, if you feel like doing so--No, we aren't hassling you,
honest!--please consider inserting your car key in the ignition switch and
then turning the key until the engine engages. Thank you."

Good luck.

Roy

Steven Jong wrote:

> As a technical writer working in the US, I've been exposed to a lot of
> anecdotes and advice on how to write for international audiences: don't make
> this analogy, don't use that color, don't joke, and so forth. We've also heard
> many stories about the cultural mores of other countries: personal space,
> shaking hands, length of skirt, etc. Some of it sounds petty to me, but I know
> I'm self-centered 8^)
>
> I am wondering: For writers working outside the US, are there analogous
> anecdotes and advice about how to write for the US market? Are there things
> that writers have to watch out for to avoid offending touchy Americans? Are
> Americans considered tolerant of everything? Or do you guys not care? 8^)
>
> I'm genuinely curious and not flame-baiting. I'll be happy to summarize
> advance!
>
> -- Steve

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=