Procedures document numbering?

Subject: Procedures document numbering?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:11:25 -0800

Fellow tech writers,

I am currently working on creating a rather large internal
document that explains all of our engineering processes.
We are using HTML as the file format.

Right now, the site (and the subjects) are broken down
into "process areas", which contain a number of "process
items".

I need to establish a numbering and/or identification
system for each process area and item. I don't want to
use a standard numbering format (i.e. 1.1 Top level item.
1.1.1 Second level item.) because I think it isn't
effective in Web site structure or Web usability.

I am thinking that a combination of letters and numbers
would be more appropriate, i.e. XX - 001. Are there any
numbering systems that are more applicable to a process/
procedures document?

Feel free to respond off-list. Thanks!

Rowena

Rowena Hart Technical Writer

Xcert International Inc.
1001-701 West Georgia Street Phone: 1 (604) 640-6210
Vancouver, BC, Canada V7Y 1C6 Fax: 1 (604) 640-6220
Web: http://www.xcert.com E-mail: rhart -at- xcert -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=