Re: Front Page Fussy

Subject: Re: Front Page Fussy
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:28:59 -0600

In our previous episode, Andrew Plato said:
> The "FrontPage is not pure HTML" rhetoric is total bulls**t. People
> have been saying this for years and it simply is not true.
>
> Front Page absolutely uses standard HTML tags. The ONLY derivation
> from "standard HTML", whatever the hell that is, is the FrontPage
> extensions. If you don't use the FP Extensions, then the HTML
> generated is just as "pure" as anything out of HomeBlow or any of the
> other HTML generators.

My understanding (I've never used FrontPage, but I've looked at
FrontPage source) is that FP uses standard HTML tags, but does so in
remarkably ugly ways. For example, if you have a sentence that needs
to be entirely in bold, the normal way would be to put a <bold> tag at
the beginning and a </bold> tag at the end of the sentence. I've seen
examples where there was a <bold></bold> pair enclosing every _letter_
of the sentence.

This is something that can certainly be fixed by upgrades, and I hope
it has. But it's the sort of pure standard HTML that adds to file
length and thus slows down page display.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Long noun chains don't automatically imply security."
-- Bruce Schneier

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=