Re: Online Help for a browser-based application

Subject: Re: Online Help for a browser-based application
From: "Weisner Associates Inc." <info -at- WEISNER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:29:55 -0600

Not really, Laurel. Microsoft's HTML Help format is not particularly suitable for browser-based applications, unless you can insure that all your users are using Internet Explorer in a 32-bit Windows environment. There are alternatives, such as WebHelp, which emulates the TOC/Index navigational control built into HTML Help using a Java applet. You could also use straight HTML in a browser, with or without framesets.

Here's a blatant plug: Your question, and many more related issues are covered in a seminar that Weisner Associates delivers, called "Building HTML-Based Help Systems". We also have a web site that is just now going up, at http://www.htmlbasedhelp.com which should be of interest to individuals who are working on browser-based help systems for web-centric applications.

Regards,

Ben Weisner
612-933-4471

At 03:36 PM 1/12/99 , you wrote:
>I have one quick question and hope that someone on this list can answer it.
>Would it be correct to assume that browser-based applications require HTML
>Help?
>
>Thanks much, Laurel
>

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Weisner Associates Inc. | Information Delivery Solutions
800-646-9989 | info -at- weisner -dot- com | http://www.weisner.com/
"Your Partner in Online Documentation Solutions"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=