Informal Techwriters Roundtable: SE Michigan

Subject: Informal Techwriters Roundtable: SE Michigan
From: Misti Anslin Tucker <matucker -at- MMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:14:53 -0500

Is there anyone here in the SE Michigan area who would be interested in
joining me to create an informal techwriter's roundtable?

My vision is based loosely on writers groups writers and poets have used
for years to get peer reviews to refine their work. (Think J. R. R.
Tolkein, Dorothy Sayer, and C. S. Lewis and their writers group,
Inklings.)

We've been talking quite a bit about focusing on the user's needs and
worrying more about content than about tools and technology. I think part
of the reason we focus more on tools and technology than on content here on
line is simply that it's easier to discuss general principals technology at
a distance in time and space. Content and usability are very much
dependent on the product we're documenting and the users we're writing for
-- those are easier to deal with when we're actually handling and
discussing a specific document. Perhaps the way to do that is to gather
together in small groups and review one another's work. We can learn both
from what others say about our work and what we see in other peoples work.

If you live nearby, and are interested in helping form such a writer's
roundtable, you can contact me off-line at mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org

Misti Tucker

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=