Re: Interview questions (Was re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe)

Subject: Re: Interview questions (Was re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe)
From: Toni Williams TPG/SG <towilliams -at- PROCYONGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:30:42 -0800

Isn't this really knowing how to interview and be interviewed? It all seems
like an elaborate dance ritual
where he knows that I know that he knows, etc.

For instance:

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Interviewee: I'd like to; where would you like me to start?
Interviewer: Wherever you feel most comfortable.

You see, dance, dance, dance.

Toni Williams
towilliams -at- procyongroup -dot- com

> John R. Sullivan said:
>
> >Things I object to? Well, at the top of my list is "What is your biggest
> >weakness?" What an absurd question.

<snip>

Then Penny Staples said:

<snip>

> As an interviewee, I have found questions like this to be a really good
> opportunity. You can mention what you're good at, and what steps you've
> taken to compensate for areas where you may have trouble. For example, I
> might answer like this:
>
> "Well, I tend to be kind of a big-picture person. I enjoy figuring out how
> something works, doing the writing and organizing necessary to produce the
> manual. But when it comes to doing final proofreading for the small
> details,
> well I enjoy that a lot less, and I've had to develop a system to use when
> proofread. Otherwise, I tend to miss typos and some of the smaller errors
> in
> formatting and other details."

<snip>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=